AECOM is providing clients with long-term PFAS solutions having worked on over 200 PFAS projects globally and managed two of the largest precedent setting PFAS investigations in Australia.
What are PFAS?
Per- and Poly-Fluorinated Substances (PFAS) are chemicals that are resistant to heat, water and oil. They don’t easily break down in the environment due to the way they were manufactured and have the ability to travel thousands of kilometres through the environment.
Globally, PFAS were historically used within firefighting foams, like Aqueous Film Forming Foams (AFFF) on a range of facilities including airports, firefighting stations and industrial areas.
The use of PFAS was common in the following industries:
- Oil & Gas
- Fire Services
Why are PFAS a problem?
The worldwide historic use of PFAS has resulted in public and regulatory concerns. Their persistence in humans and animals has caused worldwide concern since PFAS was identified as an ’emerging contaminant’ in the 2000s. Limited understanding of how PFAS impacts human health and the environment had made it the subject of ongoing research and media attention across the world.
How can AECOM help?
AECOM has been helping clients tackle PFAS contamination since 2001. Our global PFAS team assist clients in the identification, management and remediation of PFAS.
Our understanding of the technical, community and legal issues associated with PFAS means we gate clients through appropriate processes to find long-term solutions.
We draw on global and local experience and work with clients to:
- Deliver complex PFAS contamination projects exploring innovative solutions. Our team can assist with:
- Site assessment (soil and groundwater)
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Human health risk assessment
- Ecological risk assessment
- Toxicology assessments
- Technology development
- Remediation solutions (incorporating AECOM’s destruction technology)
- Off-site release mitigation
- PFAS waste management
- Reduce the risks presented from PFAS impacted sites, from our approach that integrates our understanding of technical requirements, timeline imperatives, reputational risk, legislative requirements and budget constraints.
- Deploy responsive and cost effective local office resources for field work, community engagement and project management tasks, supplemented with national technical leaders in hydrogeology, risk assessment, toxicology, community engagement and PFAS remediation.
- Provide clients with value for money due to our carefully tailored investigation program that focuses on key long term objectives all based on National Environment Protection Measure (NEPM) compliant processes.
AECOM is focused on delivering long-term solutions for our client, for every project, big or small. Our team has worked on over 200 PFAS projects and recently delivered the following projects:
RAAF Base Williamtown, Environmental Investigation, Department of Defence
|Army Aviation Centre Oakey (AACO), PFAS Investigations, Department of Defence||Former Training College, Fiskville, Country Fire Authority (CFA)|